Several factors may affect the effectiveness of the lymphatic system and cause lymph nodes to swell. One of the common causes of swollen lymph nodes, especially in the neck and underarm regions of the body, is excessive consumption of beverages such as coffee and tea that contain caffeine.
If you notice swelling in any of your lymph nodes, you should consult a doctor to determine the cause of the swelling since the treatment for swollen nodes varies depending on the cause. Besides caffeine, other causes of swollen nodes include the following:
- Colds and flu: These infections often cause lymph nodes in the throat to swell and if left untreated for long, they can cause lymph node inflation.
- Ear infections: Ear infections normally cause nodes in the neck to swell.
- Toothaches: Most people who suffer from dental infections such as tooth decay also suffer from swollen lymph nodes because their lymphatic systems try to fight off the bacteria responsible for such infections. However, toothaches caused by the development of wisdom teeth can also cause swelling in the lymph nodes.
- Sexually transmitted infections: STIs can cause swelling in the groin/inguinal lymph nodes as the lymphatic system struggles to fight off the micro-organisms that cause the infections.
- Any type of infection that affects the body may cause lymph nodes swelling in the area adjacent to the infected part of the body. For instance, breast cancer can cause swelling in the lymph nodes under the arm. As such, in most cases, swollen lymph nodes are merely an indication of the immune system response to infections and the swelling normally disappears within a few weeks.
- If the swelling in your lymph nodes persists for more than two weeks, you should consult a doctor immediately since the swelling may be due to serious causes such as blockage in the lymphatic system caused by poor flow of the lymphatic fluid.
Overall, patients that suffer from swollen lymph nodes should get a proper diagnosis from a qualified doctor because caffeine is just one of the many common causes of the condition.
- http://www.collectivewizdom.com/SwollenLymphNodes-Top10CausesandRemedies.html – Top 10 Causes and Remedies
- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swollen-lymph-nodes/DS00880 – Swollen lymph nodes
- http://www.thelymphnodes.com/swollen-lymph-nodes-causes.php – Swollen Lymph Nodes Causes
- http://www.emedicinehealth.com/swollen_lymph_glands/page2_em.htm – Swollen Lymph Glands